A “feather duster” is an implement for cleaning. Being practical it comes in a wide variety of types, sizes, shapes, and materials. Although in recent years the “new” microfiber duster has become the most popular form, many options exist and the various options remain the preferred one for them by some.
Wide Variety of Dusters for Cleaning
There is a wide selection of cleaning tools called “dusters” that are available for the discerning cleaner. Depending on the customized application will help to determine which duster is right for them.
Some of these alternatives are:
- Feather Duster: These dusters are great for certain tasks such as delicate items including pictures, artwork, figurines, and other items individuals collect and showcase. These items collect dust like everything else, but they cannot be dusted like everything else. Feather dusters general make minimal, non-invasive contact with the items being dusted. Feather dusters are best at knocking dust off of objects, but are sub-par when it comes to collecting the dust. Some feather dusters have a specialized handle enabling the feathers to be retracted into the handle. Although this format has many applications, one example of this specialty item are truck drivers who must dust shelves after restocking. Being able to retract the feathers helps them to protect their initial investment, as well as maximizing their limited storage space.
- Vacuum Duster: Every vacuum cleaner comes equipped with a variety of attachments and tools including the dusting add on. The dusting attachment to the vacuum is used to clean specific portions of a home and/or office. Because it is complicated (and labor intensive) to get the vacuum and duster accessory properly set up, this is generally saved for dusting large, concentrated areas of dust, or difficult to reach or clean areas. While other dusting tools collect dust onto the duster itself, the vacuum duster sucks the dust into the vacuum cleaner bag. Of all of the dusters for cleaning this technique is superb for dusting baseboards, sofas, upholstery, ledges, flat surfaces.
- Electrostatic Duster: Electrostatic cloths and dusters (made up of thousands of fine synthetic fibers that attract static electricity) may not stir up dust as much as other dusting products. Many electrostatic cloths and dusters now come in disposable forms (a.k.a., Swifter Disposable Cloths) thus eliminating the need to clean dusters after using. Electrostatic dusters come in a variety of forms. Swiffer-Type of Disposable Duster are expensive, but can make life easier since they do are not designed to be reusable.
- Dusting Cloths: Cloths are made from a variety of materials. The best are those made from microfiber whether woven or Spunlace. They are a great choice for dusting because the microfiber filaments grab and hold a ton of dust without releasing it into the air. They grab onto dust and remove it without scratching furniture or damaging wood. Furthermore polishes or oils are needed.
- Microfiber Duster: Microfiber is the newcomer in the cleaning industry. Manufactured from various an 80% polyester and 20% polyamide combination, the ultra-fine fiber (i.e., 100 times thinner than a human hair) generates a charge that locks on to dust and dirt. Additionally the tiny fibers are able to reach deep into surfaces. Add an ultra fine mist of water (no chemicals) to the microfiber head for superior dusting capabilities. It works on any type of surface including desks, cabinets, shelving, ledges, partitions, flat surfaces, and more. CleansGreen® Microfiber Duster is a great duster for cleaning.
- Lambswool Duster: Lambswool is the traditional material for dusters, but is not as relevant now that microfiber has entered the market. Like microfiber, it contains a natural magnetic static that attracts and holds onto dust. The primary difference between microfiber and lambs wool is that microfiber is easier to launder (and have it return to its initial fluffy condition). Lambswool has very special instructions that must be followed on how to clean it to retain its effectiveness in cleaning. Additionally lambs wool does not have the dust collecting and retaining capabilities that microfiber does. Overall, we feel that microfiber has replaced lambswool in the dusting world.
- “Can of Air”: Compressed Air is used most frequently for electronics, but is also used for other applications. Simply insert the small tube and press the trigger and, voila, it shoots air out the other end to dislodge dust stuck in between the keys on keyboards and other computer accessories, as well as other electronics / office equipment and hard-to-reach small areas.
Recommended Dusters for Cleaning
While the options available are diverse, Green Cleaning Products LLC has tested many of them. In every case we find we return to the microfiber duster as the most effective and biggest ‘bang for the buck’.
Looking For An Amazing Duster For Cleaning?
If you can’t tell, we are in love with dusters and the ins and outs of how they work in the real world. With that in mind we searched the globe for the best duster… one that would have quality, staying power AND able to be cleaned easily!
Our fluffy blue duster is the culmination of all that legwork! We are super proud to offer a duster that recieves this kind of response…
Verified Purchase On Amazon | Casey E. – Finally! I have tried using other dusters and all they seem to do is make a bigger mess! This duster not only actually does what it is supposed to do but the seller actually thanked me for the business and sent a little sheet with it to show me how to make it last longer, keep it clean and use it better. The other thing I like about it is the fact that I can attach it to a longer handle to use up high, I have high ceilings. My housekeeper has already used it and I have to say, usually she just leaves a bigger mess but after the first use, I can totally see a difference…. the place is actually CLEAN! Lastly, the other thing I really like if the fact I can use it to clean my ceiling fans because it is bendable without being flimsy. I usually don’t write reviews but I was so happy with how this duster over delivers, that I had to let you know. Worth just buying and not spending too much time looking around.
Get the blue fluffy duster today!