Do you feel that dust bunnies kill the cleaning fairy? Dust has this nasty way of leaving a gray coating. Learn how to dust. It is a key green cleaning tip.
Good News, Bad News about Dusting
First the bad news. It never goes away. In fact if you do nothing, it actually grows! Dusting is something you cannot cheat on since it stays put until something is done about it. Sadly doing nothing can exacerbate the situation, especially for those with allergies and respiratory issues, such as asthma.
Good news, dusting can be done quickly and easily. In fact the more often you do it the less time in the long run that you have to spend to achieve the results you desire!
So what are some hot spots to watch for; how can you prevent this buildup; and what are the most successful tips and tools? Green Cleaning Products LLC has researched the science behind dust and found some of the best “How To Dust” tips for you. Read on for the top 5 hot spots for dust and what to do about them.
5 Hot Spots for Dust
- Anything brought in from outside. (Tip: Using entrance mats will capture dirt on footwear and make it easier to clean the dirt and dust that has been captured.)
- Heating and cooling systems leveraging forced air. (Tip: Using filters on the vents will trap debris before it gets into the living space. The more they are changed the more that is captured. Second Tip: Cleaning the ducts professionally reduces hidden buildup.)
- Electronics, whether they are your refrigerator, appliances, TV, or computer. They all are dust magnets. (Tip: Regularly clean the coils and vents. Also pull them out and remove the hairballs and dust bunnies underneath and behind them.)
- Fabric, including clothes, drapes, curtains, upholstered furniture, bedding and pillows. (Tip: Shaking outside any cushions, comforters, pillows, and other fabric covered items will reduce the source. Vacuum those that cannot be easily removed, such as your footsools.)
- Walls and ceilings. They can hold an amazing amount of dust. (Tip: A quick swipe with a microfiber duster is highly effective, fast, and easy.)
5 Tips to Prevent Dust Build Up
- Dust is made up of many things, including the dead skin cells, hair, pet dander and fibers. Use the soft bristle brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner to periodically vacuum drapes, curtains and upholstered furniture to grab the loose fibers and dirt early.
- Choose tools that will capture dust rather than pushing it around. Sadly some of the favorite feather dusters and lambswool dusting tools do not capture the dust. Split microfiber, however, will actually trap and completely remove the dust and dirt from the area and requires no chemicals.
- Select a hard floor surface such as tile or wood, whenever possible, is the best. Wherever there is carpet, however, be vigilant to vacuum regularly to lift up and remove the dirt and particles that becomes dust.
- Pets are loved, but are also a source of dust and dirt. Keeping them well groomed significantly cuts down on pet hair and dander.
- Bedding is home to lots of dust mites and dirt. Washing them regularly and vacuuming mattresses frequently goes a long way to reducing them.
5 Dusting Tips and Tools for Getting it Done
- If a surface has a thick buildup, carefully remove it with a microfiber cloth, then routinely use a dry microfiber duster.
- Quick, daily action with a good duster and microfiber dust mop will control buildup and reduce the amount that is tracked throughout.
- Removing footwear is huge. Leave the source at the door. (Personally I love living in slippers.)
- Start from the top and work your way down. Vacuum last. A machine with built in HEPA filters are the best.
- Invest in a high quality dusting tool that is flexible, yet effective. Look for one that can covers a large area quickly, but still get into nooks and crannies, as well as tight corners; is lightweight with an easy to use handle, yet can be quickly extended for those high and hard to reach places. A favorite is the Fluffy Microfiber Duster by Cleans Green™ available on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Duster-Microfiber-Extendable-Extension-Replacement/dp/B00KD6J0RU or http://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Bendable-Flexible-Washable-Extendable/dp/B00A3CQSKG. Pick your favorite color!
You may have a clean floor, scrubbed countertops, sparkling mirrors, but if that gray hint is around it appears you have not accomplished anything. Do not let that happen to you. If you keep on top of things, dusting on a regular and routine basis your work is greatly reduced and your reward is a nice and fresh place to be.
[…] in royal blue.) Additionally Green Cleaning Products LLC has provided 15 How to Dust Tips and Tricks for […]