For the benefit of our environment and the health of the citizens, Colorado Governor Ritter issued the “Greening of State Government Executive Order # D0011 07” in 2007 for state government and state assisted buildings. The purpose of the Executive Order is to establish goals and objectives designed to reduce the environmental impact of state government. Green janitorial supplies and cleaning products are a piece of the solution in fulfilling the defined direction.
As required, the Department of Personnel and Administration State Purchasing Office updated the State of Colorado Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Policy in July 2010. This document provides the guidance for procurement of sustainable commodities such as green janitorial supplies.
Specifically, in Section B “Reduction of Toxic Elements, Energy, Emissions, and Pollution,” the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy specifically states that:
- All cleaning products for janitorial use should, at a minimum, meet third party certification standards for environmental performance.
- All surfactants and detergents should be readily biodegradable and should not contain phosphates or other agents known to result in water quality degradation.
- Buyers of building maintenance products should purchase products containing the lowest amount of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) including low or formaldehyde-free as applicable.
- Buyers shall also request recycled content packaging and low environmental impact products whenever feasible.
- Products do not contain polyvinyl chloride and are not packaged using PVC film
The goals and objectives in the state of Colorado Executive Order and Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Policy are yet another recent example of the growing state and local government interest in reducing negative environmental impacts through purchasing policies. Such policies provide guidance for government buyers, organizations, and business interested in protecting the environment and the health of their constituents.
In response to the growing policy trend toward environmentally preferable products, Green Cleaning Products LLC is proud to supply janitorial chemicals and products that address such policy requirements. We are able to provide products that support and comply with environmentally oriented policies by offering a commercial product line of green janitorial chemicals and supplies that:
- Are certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s “Design for the Environment”, an independent third party review confirming that safer chemistry is used.
- Use only plant based surfactants and naturally occurring enzymes in the products, thus meeting the guideline of no phosphates or other water quality degrading agents.
- Contains less than 1 percent volatile organic compounds (VOC) nor formaldehyde in our cleaning products.
- Utilize soy based ink on recyclable packaging for all products shipped. Additionally, the paper used in shipping packages is compliant with the Forest Stewardship Council’s certification program, ensuring the use of sustainability harvested wood. The Forest Stewardship Council is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization established to promote the responsible management of the world’s forest.
- Have no PVC film in the shipping process. In fact, the air pillows used to protect our products during shipping are made of biodegradable materials.
- Incorporate a super concentrate strategy, resulting in the smallest carbon foot print possible due to reduced fuel consumption during shipping, the costs of which can be significant.
Many innovative eco friendly strategies are implemented throughout our company which ensures the smallest the carbon footprint possible. Smart business practices translate to products that are effective, easy to use, and price competitive. Order your green commercial cleaning supplies from Green Cleaning Products LLC.